Monday, March 14, 2011

Easy Donut Holes



As I was waiting at home the other day for two important phone calls, I decided I needed something to keep Nate and I busy.  So we made donuts.  This is a great recipe that I’ve used often.  We usually do the normal “roll out and cut into donut shape” thing, but I wanted something easier, quicker.  So I pulled my medium sized dough scooper out of its drawer and made mega-sized donut holes—bigger and shapelier than their smaller predecessor! J An added bonus was that without the extra flour used to roll out the dough, the donuts were crunchy on the outside and very moist in the middle.

Enjoy!


Blue Ribbon Donuts

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 to 7 cups flour
4 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Oil for deep-fat frying

In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs for 5 minutes.  Gradually add sugar; beat 1-2 minutes longer (mixture will be thick and light in color).  Add cream, milk, vanilla, 2 cups flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; beat until smooth.  Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.  Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth, about 8-10 minutes.  (I have a kneading attachment with my mixer so I set the timer, walk away and drink a cup of tea while it does the kneading for me!)  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.  Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.  On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/2 –in. thickness.  Cut with a 2-1/2-in. donut cutter.  (This is where I just used the scoop and carefully plopped them from the scoop into the oil—no rolling, no cutting, no mess!)  In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375 degrees.  Fry donuts, a few at a time, for 2 minutes on each side or until browned.  Drain on paper towels and toss in a bag of powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar mixture while still warm.

Yields 3 dozen.





Get blog updates to your inbox or news reader by clicking here...