Saturday, January 1, 2011

Fresh Starts


I admit that I would like to do something special in life, something to distinguish myself.  

I catch myself falling through the cracks of discontent as I woefully listen to the lies that what I do here in my home is. not. enough.  Not satisfying enough, not contributing enough, not recognized enough, not appreciated enough...not fulfilling enough.

I suppose I desire to do more for God’s sake, but the truth is...I have become discontent with ordinary life within these four walls.

He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?  
Micah 6:8

These requirements are nothing special.  One would not likely be decorated or even particularly remembered because of them.  But they are worth more to God than any sacrifice.

"Lord, deliver me from the delusion of imagining that my desire is to serve You, when my real desire is the distinction of serving in some way which others will admire.  Free me from all desire to impress.  Just being me, growing in You—for all to see.  Thank you for this fresh start in a fresh year to turn my heart as well as my eyes to my home...and all who dwell there.  Amen."