Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Words Of My Mouth & Meditation Of My Heart

Weaving through my day from beginning to end, intermixed with laundry and lessons...meals and mayhem.  This thought comes at the end of prayer in the quiet and dark room no family member cares to share with me as morning light replaces dark night.

“Let the words of your mouth and the meditation of your heart be acceptable and pleasing to Me.”

Light replaces the darkness in me during praise, prayer, and journaling as I am surrounded by a Presence as snug as a passionate embrace.  Familiar words breathed ages ago by the One who shares this quiet room with me.

“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.” Psalm 19:14

Without thought or prompting, these words keep returning as the day carries on.  I visit the entire Psalm, asking what in particular He wants me to hear.  Looking up the original words I find nothing startling, but something new that makes me smile over the word “meditation”.  Not only does it mean pondering, musing, deep reflection...but is also translated “resounding music” in Psalm 92. 

To say that I enjoy music would be inadequate.  I love and adore...take great delight in music and words of praise and worship put to melody.

Over and over the words returned.  The entire day.  Unaided and unforced...they resound upon my soul.

“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.”

“Are the words I speak pleasing to you, Father?”
“What about my body language and expression?”
“Does my mouth speak with assurance words I believe—words I write?”

“Is my heart aligned with Yours, Lord?”
“Are my reflections, ponderings acceptable?”
“Do my thoughts reflect trust, faith and joy...or fear, worry and despair?”

The words repeat pleasantly...but I wonder if I am missing their point specifically for this specific time.

Towards evening, thoughts of scripture memorization impress my heart.  Soon conviction follows...followed by repentance, forgiveness and restoration.

I remember the words of this brother that encouraged me long ago...





I take down my own neglected tool box the Carpenter uses to mold and remake this once stone heart now made flesh. 

And I want what they know and what Truth beholds...

I want my thoughts to meditate on His so that my words, my own light shines brightly and powerfully in this dark, evil, hateful place.  His words are light and life.  I want to be a lightbearer and lifegiver in every place my presence touches and words whisper.

How is a mind renewed and thoughts taken captive without truth to counter lies?

He cannot be my Rock if I meditate only on what’s seen of this world and my feelings in response.  When His word, His truth, His promises flood my mind—fears are ravaged.  All anxiety loosens its grip on my heart and I am freed to say with certainty, “I trust you, Jesus.  I know I will be fine!”



Sources that you may find helpful...

Scripture Memory System that we use in our home.  The three younger ones memorize together, the olders each have their own box as they choose weekly what verses they want to put to memory and I have one as well.  They write out their cards each week as handwriting copywork.

Some of us also use this wonderful resource which helps convert a section of scripture to the prompting of the first letter only of each word.  I have always struggled with memory work and this has been very helpful to me and one of my sons.

Ann’s post is full of more wonderful resources.  I read this article and now consider memorizing a full book.