Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Seeking First His Kingdom

There is something I’d like to have happen.  Um....let me rephrase that a bit.  There is something I really, really, really, really want!!!  Ever been there? J  The trouble is I can’t make it happen on my own.  I’m not in a position to just have what I want.  And you know what?  I’m learning that’s a good place to be

How often do we just see or desire some stuff, some trip, some fantasy, some temptation, some very good “thing” and we just go after it—we get it because we can.  So many times in my own life I’ve learned later that the “thing” I wanted so badly was not what was best for me.  And we’ve all had the letdown experience after getting something we thought would bring us great joy or fulfillment. Left instead is disappointment with a new hole to fill.


You know that little verse about taking every thought captive to Christ (2 Cor. 10:5)?  Well, I’ve started implementing it in several sideline areas of my thought life and it’s amazing the results I have experienced.  

Take every thought captive.
Take every dollar captive.
Take every attitude captive.
Take every offense ready to be picked up captive.
Take every fear captive.
Take every regret captive.
Take every response on the tip of my tongue captive.
Take every room captive. (Sorry...got a little off track—I’ve been de-cluttering around here. J)

This has been working great in my life!  Up until yesterday...when this new, wonderful opportunity took over my brain and consumed my thoughts. J  It’s not a bad thing.  That would be easier for me to deal with.  No, this is a very, very good thing that I believe would be so beneficial and I just want it bad enough that I want God to want it bad enough for me, you know?

While talking to Him about this last night He reminded me, “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you” Matthew 6:33.  With “these things” referring to that which we need.

So while I pray and ask God to move in BIG ways for my life, I keep my eyes on Him.  Not on what I want, not my situation, not my circumstance—Him!  I keep knowing that He is good and loves me perfectly.  I keep resting in the fact that He is in control and what He wants me to have and what He wants me to experience, I will!  I keep looking to please Him and not self.  I keep on focusing my thoughts, time, actions, money and priorities on Him.  I keep believing that He is for me and will only allow that which is best for me to come my way.

My eyes see dimly (the pretty, flashy, “want me” stuff), His eyes see clearly (the “this is best for my child, so I’ll go with this” stuff). 

God will decide if this that I want is best for me and if now is the time.  I’ll keep asking.  Asking is fine and wanting what I see as good for my life is fine.  As long as I allow all of it to filter though Him without being angry, hurt or upset with the result. 

So, I’ll have to wait and see.  But I wait knowing He will only allow that which is good and right for my life to come to me.  That is what I truly want.  God knows that I do

That is seeking first His Kingdom.  This is what pleases Him!