Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Good is Good For You

“And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.” Romans 12:2

What is the will of God? To live righteous, holy lives committed and surrendered to the Lordship of Christ.

Too often I find myself reacting in ways less than “transformed”. My head knows a good portion of His word and yet I feel so unchanged. I am still selfish, lazy, easily angered, discontented.... How do I “get” the transformation I so greatly desire? It is obviously more than just reading, memorizing or hearing an excellent sermon expounding on scripture. How am I renewed? What part do I not understand?

Like any other good habit, the transformation has to be practiced—walked out, if you will. The more I practice, the more the “new” nature becomes a habit and is constant whereas the former behavior goes to the wayside.

Renewing of the mind must be constant. Choosing how I respond, not merely following my initial feelings of response, must be constant. I must make my mind up to not be carried emotionally by any given situation. Instead, I am to respond as my mind has been renewed and to do so diligently. I must practice my new responses until they are habit.

Paul said he “learned to be content” (Phil. 4:11). He practiced! He had a choice each time his circumstances changed and he kept choosing to be content, so he was.

I must choose to be soft spoken, cheerful, patient, slow to anger, fun-loving, consistent in my training and disciplining, joyful in my every day, content with where I am each season of my life.

God has said to call on His strength and “He will do it”. He will come alongside me and bless my right choices with His renewed strength, fortitude and joy.

Am I grateful for each opportunity given me to practice choosing my response based on my renewed mind? (1 Thes. 5:18)

“In all things give thanks to Your Father in heaven for this is good”

The life He has given me is good. Desiring to walk in the fruits of the Spirit is good because they are good. Being obedient to His will is good.

He is good and His good is good for me!