Sunday, August 31, 2008

The More I Seek You

This morning has me thinking over the words to the new song that I found yesterday for this corner of my world. Have you listened to it yet? It’s so beautiful...soft, flowing, passionate....

The more I seek You
The more I find You
The more I find You
The more I love you

I wanna sit at Your feet
Drink from the cup in Your Hand
Lay back against You and breathe
Feel Your heartbeat
This love is so deep
It’s more than I can stand
I melt in Your peace
It’s overwhelming.

Christ For All Nations ~ Sung by Kari Jobe

So very true! So powerfully intimate!

"The more I seek Him, the more I find Him". The more I learn about Him, yes, but it’s so much more than intelligently knowing something or someone. It’s not like finding the answer to a question that I may have asked. This “finding” is so much deeper, isn’t it! When we have “found” something, the conquest ends. Not so with God! The more we “find” the more we are struck with the immeasurable greatness that He is. In “finding” Him we are really just “filling” more of our emptiness: That abyss that cannot be reached nor filled by any other soul or possession. The depthless yearning after our Creator that was instilled within at our creation. The “finding” only stirs us on to more “seeking”.

"When I find more of Him...oh, how I do love Him all the more". I love what I have learned about Him. I love what I can trust in Him. I love what He teaches me; urging me to let go of uselessness to grab hold of more of Him. I may not always love the process and pain that is inevitably involved at times, but yes...I do love the growing in righteousness and losing my self as He helps loosen the grip self has on me.

Is there anything sweeter than "sitting at His feet"? Now I admit that there are times when I try. When I try to sit and I find myself to be restless. Restless is pretty far from resting! Why does that happen at times? I’m not so very sure. I have my ideas, but nothing too concrete. Partly I believe it is because of being human and that some times, some days, some seasons it is just difficult for us to sit and rest. Also, I have found in my own life, how much sweeter are those rich days of resting after I have gone through a season of restlessness. So maybe He allows those silent, restless periods for that reason. I don’t know that I would want it so badly as I do had I not had those times where, try as I may, I couldn’t find that place of peace before Him and His word.

And oh, how I want to "drink from the cup in His hand"! Each of our cups differ...they are uniquely our own. Each contains the Living Water we need for our journey. I desire with all my heart the cup which He has for only me, don’t you? How very personal our God is! He is the Creator and Sustainer of all...and yet, He is intimately acquainted with and desires a personal relationship with...me! Just me! Just you! Just every single one of us! My cup was designed especially for me, for this time in creation, for all eternity before eternity had even begun. Before He created the stars, the heavens...He had thoughts of me! Before creating one animal, one tree, one flower, one ripple of water...He had the designs of me! Can there be any realization more powerful, more poignant than that! The God of all heaven and earth, the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End...yes, that one and only God...He has a life, a cup, poured especially and only for YOU! Oh...what love, what wondrous love...

"To lay back against Him...to breathe and feel His heartbeat".....

There is nothing I love more on this earth than to lean back into my beloved husband and feel loved, to feel safe, to feel strength, to feel security, to feel desire, to feel acceptance, to feel embraced... What woman does not crave the closeness of her man? Placed so tightly that you can hear the very beat of his heart within his chest...

What is the heartbeat of God? He is not human, so He has no heartbeat like man. True. But the heartbeat of God, I believe, is in all of His creation. "Earth is crammed with heaven and every common bush afire with God." (Elizabeth Barrett Browning). It is in His creation and in His greatness and even in us! His righteousness, His glory is all around us and certainly these are within us.

Seeking Him, finding Him, loving Him, resting with Him, drinking from Him...His very essence...His heartbeat is evident in each one. Without His active pursuit of us we could never begin to seek, find, love, rest and drink. The life which is His very heartbeat is in all of creation and He desires us to just lay back closely and feel that embrace. The embrace that promises eternal security. The very sounds of His heartbeat around us daily, and in every circumstance, only brings us to the place of complete peace!

"This love is so deep"! It is so very, very deep. Deeper than I can ever fathom and yet, I can sense the depthless measure “for as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him. As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us” Psalm 103:11, 12. I cannot grasp it, but I can try to imagine “the breadth and length and height and depth” Ephesians 3:18.

"I melt in the peace that is overwhelming". To be overwhelmed by peace...not circumstance or situation...but peace! The entire world desires to melt into that kind of peace. That peace is only available to those that seek Him, find Him, love Him, rest in Him, drink from Him, press in to hear His heartbeat, allow themselves to be loved by Him...and then, then we can melt into that peace.

I love these song lyrics penned in the 19th century:
Peace, peace, wonderful peace,
Coming down from the Father above!
Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray
In fathomless billows of love!
(Warren Cornell)

I realize that these words, and those above, are only song lyrics. Mere words penned by man, not the infallible, God-breathed words of scripture. But the words written by the heart of men and women who truly love God can surely help us to align our hearts with Him. They have, without a doubt, done that for me today!

Dear God, How I love that you save that place of resting for me. May that overwhelming peace of Yours that sweeps over me daily be all that I search for. In my seeking, I trust that You will always be found. Not in entirety because I know that can never be. I know from experience that the more I find of You the more I truly do love you and feel loved back. I know Your love for me doesn’t grow because it doesn’t change from what it has always been...and that is complete! As I seek You and find You, I grow in the excitement of my learning to love You even more than I love You today. Teach me to sit longer at your feet. It is during the sitting in Your Presence that I realize the finding of You and can rest contentedly to the sounds of Your heartbeat around me. Your love is deep. Your peace is overwhelming. How I desire so much more of both than I have today. I ask that the Holy Spirit will keep seeking me out to keep seeking You out...always...into eternity. Amen!