Friday, July 25, 2008

Lemon Blueberry Muffins

I'm not much of a recipe "creator" but more of a recipe "tweaker". These yummy muffins are one of them. I tried the original recipe and it was good, but I wanted better. I tried several others and then just came back to messing around with this one a bit. These are perfect for blueberry season right now.

Lemon Blueberry Muffins
2 cups flour (I combine 1 cup kamut flour with 1 cup soft wheat)
3/4 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp (rounded) cinnamon
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
2 T lemon juice (plus some...I have little helpers, remember! :)
1 egg white
1 tsp vanilla
1 to 1 1/3 cups frozen blueberries (we like LOTS of berries in our muffins :)

Preheat oven to 375*. Prepare muffin tins. Mix liquid ingredients together in a small bowl and the dry ingredients in a larger bowl. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry and stir until just moist. Fold in the blueberries. Pour batter into 12 muffin cups and bake for 20-25 min.
(I have also added a couple tablespoons of poppy seeds to this recipe and they add a delicious twist)

We've gone crazy with berries here this year. We planted 2 mulberry bushes, 16 raspberry bushes, 4 blueberry bushes (but made the spot large enough to add 5 more) and built a strawberry patch big enough for 80 strawberry plants next spring. We have wild blackberry bushes on our property line and I am putting in 25 cranberry plants in a wet, bog like area we have. I guess we are still missing huckleberries and a couple others, but I want to save some room for some fruit trees too. :)

Wishing you all a very blessed summer day!