Saturday, April 5, 2008

Precious Keepsake


Tucked away in a safe place, I found one of my most precious keepsakes today, the bookmark of a cross. I had wondered where I had put it. Several years ago, when my older 3 were young, one of them had pulled it out of my Bible and in doing so, broke off the tasseled end. I then decided that to preserve its condition, and to not take a chance of having it slip from the pages of my Bible, I had hid it away. It was so special that I never worried that I had lost it…I knew it was safe, I just couldn’t remember where that safe place was. :)

Enough already, you’re thinking, what is so important about a little bookmark. Ahhh…beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I am so blessed to be beholding this memento that my Great Grandmother crocheted after having had two strokes. Her dominant hand being paralyzed, she learned to complete her beloved handwork with the other hand.

My Great Grandmother was a strong woman of God who worked hard for Him in the care of her home and family. In her Bible are several little “finger points” that she drew in as she studied a particular passage of scripture. Some are dated and contain notes of revelation or questions written in her hand. That is another treasure that I hope to one day hold in my hands and not just in my mind and heart.

Her legacy left behind is very precious to me. Her faith, her commitment to God and family, seeking to align her heart with His, has all been passed down. To my Grandmother, my Father, me and I now see the stirring of faith in the hearts of my own children. I pray and put forth the effort needed that it will be one that continues on in the generations to come. To that end, I give my all to this life I have, this commitment that I have made to my Father to seek Him in all things.

You see, it’s not only about passing this Godly heritage on to my own children and my children’s children. It’s about NOT breaking the beautiful ancestral line that many before me walked faithfully to create! This is my destiny! This is the destiny for my children!

“…that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you may walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to SHARE IN THE INHERITANCE OF THE SAINTS IN LIGHT.” Colossians 1:9-12 (emphasis mine)

Are you continuing a sweet legacy built up for you in ages past? Or are you the one establishing today the Godly heritage for your family in the tomorrows to come? Will you be the one that family members are praising 100 or even 150 years from now?

There is no better keepsake to leave behind…none more precious, than a Godly life walked in light!