Monday, October 24, 2011

Keep Your Soul From Trouble


About 5 years ago, while laying in bed trying to fall asleep, this random thought came loudly and with authority—literally taking my breath awayseizing me in panic!

“You are going to die young!”


For days I walked in a stupor.  I had no idea what to make of it, nor what to do with it.

This was before I learned to practice the teaching from scripture, “resist {rebuke} the devil and he will flee from you”.  This was also before I fully understood that Satan feeds thoughts into our minds. 

For a long time, I wondered if it had been God speaking.  Was He warning me I had little time?  Why would He say it in such a way to invoke all kinds of fear?  Was it God or me or my enemy taking advantage of me?  I have since worked through that event and found peace. 

And then when I read this devotional entry* for September 22nd I about leapt off the couch!



“He who guards his mouth and his tongue, guards his soul from troubles.”  Proverbs 21:23

Many people have trouble in their soul, which includes the mind, will, and emotions.  But God gives the answer right here.

We’ve all dealt with doubts and fears at one time or another.  Fear often starts as a single thought.  As we dwell on that thought, it produces fear.  And if we continue to dwell on fearful thoughts, fear escalates into panic.

The devil likes to attack your mind with fearful thoughts.  He may say, I’m going to kill you.  You won’t live out your full life.  You’ll get cancer and die.  Most of the time there’s no basis at all for what the enemy is saying to your mind.  He doesn’t care.  He just wants you to dwell on his evil suggestions long enough for fear to take over.

I finally realized demonic thoughts come to our minds because the devil isn’t big enough to pull off his schemes on his own.  He’s trying to convince us to agree with him so he can operate in our lives.

Cast down the enemy’s thoughts the second they come.  How do you stop his thoughts?  Well, you can’t think one thing while you’re saying something else.  So open your mouth and start confessing, “Glory to God!  God sent His Word and healed me and satisfies me with long life.  It’s so good to be well!”

When you start speaking God’s Word, thoughts stop and fear leaves.  That will keep your soul from trouble.

Confession:

I refuse to allow fear and doubt to control me.
I keep my soul from trouble by speaking God’s Word.
I live a long, healthy life, and God will fulfill the number of my days.

{marks of emphasis are my own}






What fear is paralyzing you?
Has a random thought ever entered your mind causing fear, doubt, anger or confusion?
Are you consciously taking your thoughts captive to Christ?


Once a thought is thought over, entertained and spoken it has taken us captive—for good or for evil.  This is how Satan begins the establishment of a stronghold {foothold} in our lives. 


Be careful to not passively receive any thought that pops into your mind!
Get active with your thoughts! 

Take them over before they take over you!





* Mark Brazee; 365 Days of Healing; page 271.