Sunday, February 13, 2011

Blessed are the merciful (James 2:12, 13)


The believer whose life has been full of mercifulness will face the Judge unafraid because the Judge in His liberality will take into account the mercy that the believer demonstrated on earth. 

“Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.”  Matthew 5:7

My outward demonstration of the Christian character 
is shown in mercifulness.

Eleos is the Greek word for “mercy” and is not merely kindness towards one who is miserable or afflicted, but joined with a desire to help them.

Grace affects our character and changes it.  Only God can do that.
Mercy is empathizing and relieving the results of sin.  This the Believer can do.

I can train my children in character, but I cannot set theirs. 
I can bend their will with my actions and set consequences, but I cannot change them internally. 
That is God’s work done in grace.  
But . . . when my child chooses to walk in sin—to disobeyI can discipline or show mercy and alleviate the consequences of their sin.  (I am not implying that it is always right to do so, but merely giving an example.)


The fruit of our mercy begins here on earth, but not all is given here.  
Some will be received in heaven.

“So speak and so act, as those who are to be judged by the law of liberty.  For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment.”  James 2:12, 13

Mercy triumphs over judgment!

I think I’ll be thinking on that one for awhile . . .




Get blog updates to your inbox or news reader by clicking here...


Click here for the other posts from my study of the book of James
I am joining The Good Morning Girls as we study James together.