Thursday, December 18, 2008

Prayer & Fasting

I am hopeful that many of you have continued your Thursday prayer dates for our country. I know the election is over and Christmas falls on our coming Thursday, but my bold plea to you is this...continue in organized, intense, faithful prayer for our country! This is bigger than who was elected to office and the state of the world's economy. Big changes have and will continue to happen in the days to come. In Narnia fashion...I'd say, Aslan is on the move! :)

Here is a reminder of some things we can be praying for our country...

1. Pray for a Great Awakening across our country
2. Pray for the conviction of sins in the hearts of believers and unbelievers alike
3. Pray for a turning to Righteousness
4. Pray for a new culture with Christ—one of higher standards above the current culture
5. Pray that Christianity be distinctly different! (Salt and light have to BE different to BE noticed!)
6. Pray for a fear of God
7. Pray for those in authority
Most of all, remember who reigns as Lord and King forever...Jesus!
“The Lord sits as King forever.” Psalm 29:10

May I also, once again, strongly encourage you to fast. Fasting is a continuation in consecrating ourselves before God. We fast to show total dedication and commitment to being right before God. I have brought this up before, so I do not want to belabor the point. Pray to God and seek the scriptures concerning fasting and then walk in obedience to how you sense the Holy Spirit directing you. Or even better...just do it and see what God does!

"'Yet even now,' declares the Lord, 'return to Me with all your heart, and with fasting, weeping and mourning; and rend your heart and not your garments.' Now return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger, abounding in lovingkindness, and relenting of evil who knows whether He will not turn and relent and leave a blessing behind Him." Joel 2:12-14


Oh God...that is my prayer! To come to you with all of my heart open and given freely to You. Weeping and mourning over the sins I have allowed and fasting to show that I am dedicated and committed to being right before you, God. You ARE gracious! You ARE compassionate! You ARE slow to get angry with me! You ARE abounding in lovingkindness towards me! I believe, without doubt, that all of this is true! Hear my prayer, my Abba Father...hear my hearts cry throughout the day. May my sacrifice to not eat food be pleasing to You today. Please hear my prayers, answer and leave a blessing behind...Amen!