Saturday, November 8, 2008

Stop Seeking And Run

As our pastor was ending the service on Sunday, he shared these words God pressed on his heart—“Stop seeking love and run to Jesus Christ”.

Did you need to hear that today?

I needed to hear it and need to keep reminding myself daily to stop seeking after love, acceptance, admiration, approval, appreciation and other forms of self worth and self fulfillment.

I need to keep running to Jesus!

I need to be reminded that all of my worth comes from Him being within.

I am nothing without Him and can give nothing without Him.

To expect others to fulfill in me the desire to be loved in the way that only God can is unfair to those that I walk the journey with. It robs others of my willingness to take them as they want to give themselves to me. It robs me of being able to love them regardless as to how they love me back. It robs God in being for me the only all in all I can ever truly have in this life.

To expect others to fulfill in me the desire to be wanted and necessary to their lives and to this life in general puts unknown qualifying expectations on their shoulders. How are they to know that what they say or do not say causes me to measure my worth to them? How are they to be responsible for how worthy I view my visit here on earth? Only God knows the entirety of my planned purpose. Expecting others to fill my emotional tank only hampers my relationship with them, making it conditional. Only God knows what I need to be filled with and how to fill me up in a way that brings Him glory while keeping my eyes held steadfast on Him as the source.

“How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them!” Psalm 139:17

“How blessed is God! And what a blessing he is! He's the Father of our Master, Jesus Christ, and takes us to the high places of blessing in him. Long before he laid down earth's foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love, to be made whole and holy by his love. Long, long ago he decided to adopt us into his family through Jesus Christ. (What pleasure he took in planning this!) He wanted us to enter into the celebration of his lavish gift-giving by the hand of his beloved Son.” Ephesians 1:3-5 (The Message)

“So stop seeking love from everyone and everywhere else and come running to Me.... Come to Me and I will fill you up as only I can which is more than you could ever have hoped for!”

(Related topic from the archives)