Saturday, October 25, 2008

Names of God

"And those who know Thy name will put their trust in Thee; for Thou, O LORD, hast not forsaken those who seek Thee" Psalm 9:10.

This is but a small sampling of the Hebrew Names of God and their meanings...

Abba -- Father
Addiyr Mahrom Jehovah -- Mighty is the LORD on High
Adonai -- LORD, Master
Adonai Tsoovah -- The LORD My Salvation
Attiyq Yowm -- The Ancient of Days
Bahrah -- Creator
Cether -- My Hiding Place **Love this one!**
Chyahlooth -- My Strength
El -- God, The Strong One
El Aman -- The Faithful God
El Chuwl -- The God Who Gave Me Birth
El Deah -- God of Knowledge
El Elyon -- The God Most High
El Ghah'y -- The Living God
El Nahsah -- The God Who Forgives
El Olam -- The Everlasting God
El Rachum -- The Merciful God
El Roi -- The God Who Sees; The God Who Sees Me **Another favorite!**
El Sehlag -- God My Rock
El Shaddai -- The All-Sufficient One; The Almighty God; The Strength Giver; The God Who is Sufficient for the Needs of His People
El Simchah Giyl -- God My Exceeding Joy
Elohim -- The Creator; The True God
Elohim-Misgab -- God My Defense
Elohim-Yare -- God Most Terrible (fearful/dreadful)
Elohim-Kedoshim -- Holy God
Elohim-Yachal -- The God of Hope
Jehovah/Yahweh -- LORD; The Self-Existing One; I AM
Jehovah-aman -- The LORD Who is Faithful
Jehovah-jireh -- The LORD Will Provide
Jehovah-rapha -- The LORD That Healeth
Jehovah-nissi -- The LORD My Banner
Jehovah-mekoddishkem -- The LORD Who Sanctifies You
Jehovah-azar -- The LORD My Helper
Jehovah-shalom -- The LORD is Peace
Jehovah-sabaoth -- The LORD of Hosts
Jehovah-raah -- The LORD My Shepherd
Jehovah-shammah -- The LORD is There **wherever "there" is--so is He!**
Jehovah-Shaphat -- The LORD Our Judge
Jehovah-tsidkenu -- The LORD Our Righteousness
Maowz-Dal -- A Defense for the Helpless
Melek Kabowd -- King of Glory
Olam Zerowa -- The Everlasting Arms
Qadowsh -- Holy One
Rumn Ro'sh -- The One Who Lifts My Head

"The LORD is near to all who call upon Him." Psalm 145:18

May I suggest printing this list off and saving it in your Bible. It will be a reminder of how Awesome, All-Encompassing, Gloriously Holy, Steady and Mighty our God...the one True God...truly is!

Use this list of names as you go to prayer. Don't worry if you are pronouncing them correctly. Call upon the name of the Lord and He will be found!

"I called upon the LORD, yes, I cried to my God; And from His temple He heard my voice, and my cry for help came into His ears." 2 Samuel 22:7