Thursday, September 4, 2008

Putting It Up With Honey

Talking with a friend today about canning and she was surprised that I used honey instead of sugar. Yep...I did! :) But with a little help...

Miraculously I found the book "Putting It Up With Honey" at the thrift store a few years ago for 79 cents! Now, this is not a commercial for the book nor is it an endorsement of all of the recipes--as we have only tried a few. But, I have loved the option of making some of my homegoods with honey as a full or partial substitute for sugar.

The peach jam made with all sugar is preferred in my home to the peach jam made with honey. So I do make both to make everyone happy. (The honey recipe also calls for cinnamon and nutmeg so I refer to it as "spiced peach jam"). The one made with honey calls for 2 cups of honey to 6 cups of fruit while the other is 5 1/2 cups of sugar to 4 cups of fruit. Now you see why I like to try the honey recipes?

For the peaches and pears, I just make my syrup with honey instead of sugar. You can try to find the book at your library or do an internet search to see what comes up for canning with honey. I'd write out the recipes, but I don't think the publishers would smile kindly on me for doing that.

Hope this is helpful information for someone. Happy canning! :)

(A couple side notes~~I use raw honey so the natural nutrients have not been destroyed from pasteurization. Also, if you have a little one under the age of one--it is recommended that you not give them honey or products using honey)