Saturday, September 13, 2008

1 Corinthians 15:58

"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord. Knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord." 1 Corinthians 15:58

Let's look up some of those words in the original Greek language, shall we...

steadfast: (hedraios) to be seated or settled..."present imperative" verb which means one is commanded to be seated and settled and to continue to be so.

immovable: (ametakinetos) firm, unmoveable

always: (pantote) always, ever, evermore, derived from the root word meaning "all"... "present participle" verb which means to continually repeat.

abounding: (perisseuo ) exceed in excess, more abundant, enough and to spare, root word means "sense of beyond--to go beyond what is necessary in quantity and quality"

toil: (kopos) not so much the exertion in work, but the weariness which one experiences from that exertion.

vain: (kenos) empty, hollow, aimless

God has given me a great work to do! How am I to do it?

I am to firmly seat and settle myself within my work; as a firm, immoveable force. I am continually exceeding in my work; going above and beyond. The work may be tiring, but it is not empty and aimless. My work is done in, of and for the Lord!

“Whatever you do, do your work heartily (from the soul), as for the Lord rather than for men; knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.” Colossians 3:23-24