Monday, May 26, 2008

Cast Upon the Lord

"Cast your burden upon the LORD, and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken." Psalm 55:22

The note in my Bible gives an expounded definition of "your burden" as "what He has given you"! I don't know about you, but that changes my perspective of that phrasing altogether! A lot of the time, we look at our "burden" in such a negative light. It typically is not a pleasantry, I'll grant you that, but if we are to look at all things given to us with thanksgiving (1 Thes. 5:18) that would also include our burdens. When I ponder the idea that my burden is something that He has given me, it really takes the negativity out of it. The burden is "lightened" a bit just by that. Negativity adds a weight all its own. I believe that is why we are taught to be grateful always and to be content in every situation. Contentment and thankfulness express a positive outlook. You cannot be negatively contented or negatively grateful, can you? :)

So, let's take another look at that verse... "Cast what I have given you back upon Me and I will sustain you; I will never allow you, my child, to be shaken."

David shares 3 paths to victoriously seeking God during difficulties in this Psalm. First of all, we are to call on Him... "As for me, I shall call upon God..." v. 16. Secondly, we are to cast upon Him (v. 22). Lastly, we are to trust in Him... "But I will trust in Thee." v. 23b.

"...casting all your anxiety (cares) upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7. The Greek verb tense for "casting" is a direct, once-for-all commitment for both present and future worries. I AM HIS CONCERN! Nothing can come my way...no experience, disappointment, despair, difficulty, sadness, trial, health concern, sorrow, temptation, etc...that has not first been carefully filtered through His loving fingers.

He loves us too much to leave us as we are! He wants too much for us and for His kingdom! Let's be thankful for that love and for the opportunity once more to see Him work within these weak, earthen vessels that He has given us.

Let's call on Him, cast upon Him, trust in Him and then watch what good He has planned!

"He whom God greatly uses, He greatly wounds" A. W. Tozer